Monday, July 6, 2009

Making a Splash

Today was my first swimming lesson with my instructor, Courtney. I was very excited about the lesson. I hired Courtney because I have not been swimming since I learned to swim in the 7th grade, and I didn't want to go flailing about in the pool by myself.

We met at the indoor pool at the Marie Reed Center in Adams Morgan. The pool has two lanes available for lap swimming and diving boards. The water is a little cool at first, but is otherwise nice.

We started our lesson using the kickboard and I would "kick" out to the middle of the pool. Then I would use the kickboard and stroke with the right arm out to the center of the pool and then with the left arm back to the wall. I was surprised that this wasn't as difficult as I expected. It was a little tiring after a while but definitely doable. Before the end of our hour lesson, I was able to swim out to the center of the pool with no kickboard! (I was swimming crooked until I got up the nerve to open my eyes. There was is a thick black line on the floor of the pool that helps you to swim straight.)

The breathing drills are the hardest. It is very hard to breathe out of my nose only!

Our final activity was to swim an entire lap with the kickboard.(The pool is 12 feet at the end!) I was so proud that I was able to do this!

The stroke I learned today is called the "crawl" or freestyle, which is the most common.

You really don't need much to get started. I bought a good pair of goggles so that I can open my eyes in the water. I still need to buy a bathing suit for swimming. I wore a bathing suit that I wear at the beach. It worked fine but I felt kind of silly. :) The Marie Reed Center has kickboards on site, so you don't have to buy that. The only other thing you need is a good trainer, like Courtney!

Now, I need to practice a few times before I meet with Courtney again next week.

Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment